RICS - cities for our future challenge | 2018 topic: Resource scarcity case study : TOKYO Brief : How can cities like Tokyo, with declining populations, attract the talent they need to remain competitive?
My strategy is to save the role of the woman as a future mother to increase Japan population and making men society looking at women in this way.
To help women to get the right to work and have children we have to plan the right space to do it!
Tokyo is still the largest city in the world but it will surprise you with its calm, ordered and clean streets and people with their kindness. This is Tokyo flair.
I cannot whish Tokyo to embrace solutions that can make this city like other in the world to become a chaotic , global , gentrified megacity!
But the decline of births and the difficult role of women need a reflexion and some strategies.
CONTEXT ANALYSIS :
- Life in Tokyo is dislocated along the floors of buildings and towers, if you look for a place you’ll probably find it on a “number + F” of a building.
- Actually there are many districts dedicated to love hotels and sexy shops in Tokyo: they are rather popular but they don’t qualify the city. Historical neighbourhoods were geiko lived , like Gion in Kyoto, are still very popular and are very charming and attractive.
- The main streets generally can have 6 lanes for cars and just sidewalks for pedestrians. Narrow streets are used by pedestrians and bicycles. There is a particular attention to children and in the street signals
THE GOAL :
Help women to get the right to work and have children is possible only if men agree! Then the only way is that women are necessary to increase Japan population and for that reason we have to preserve them in a safe space.
- Create new workspaces dedicated and planned for mother-child needs to make women able to work and take care of babies inside the traditional office buildings without losing their job!
- Create new work places dedicated to women that will fit better with their time and role of mother.
These things can help women to think about becoming mothers in a less afraid way.
Men will take the advantage to see population, work places and their families preserved, this will allow them to think about take a family in a less afraid way.
THE PROJECT :
- create PINK FLOORS in the business buildings dedicated to mother-child: women with children unless until scholar age can work having the children with them, in workspaces with “kindergarten” , sleeping area for babies, and nurses or grandmas who take care of them.
- create PINK DISTRICTS dedicated to female entrepreneurship, in which there are also spaces and services dedicated to children that can be managed by women even if they are not still mothers!
- create PINK LANES dedicated to adults ( men and women ) with strollers beside pedestrians and cycles !
- Districts can be both horizontal and vertical then you can convert some dismissed or not qualifying areas, putting them outside or in not strategic places or you can find a block and convert it into a PINK DISTRICT
- Floors can be easily refurbished to become PINK with the “kindergarten” and create a new smart concept of work space!
In the “pink areas” also grand-mothers can find a job as nurses or employed!